Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden announced further relaxation of restriction regulations relating to outdoor theatres, gyms and pools.
In his announcement on Thursday 9 July 2020, Mr Dowden announced:
- Outdoor pools will be able to re-open on 11 July
- Indoor gyms, swimming pools and sports facilities will then be able to re-open from 25 July
- Grassroots sport will be able to return from this coming weekend (10 July), beginning with cricket (other sports will follow)
- Outdoor theatres will be able to start up from Saturday (11 July 2020)
- Small pilots of indoor performances with socially distanced audiences will also take place to help work out the best way to get them up and running
- From Monday 13 June, beauticians, tattooists, spas, tanning salons and other close contact services can reopen "subject to some restrictions on particularly high-risk services"
The BBC reported Mr Dowden saying "various measures" will make venues safer, including different ticketing arrangements and that the government is looking at how to make social distancing possible at indoor performances.
Mr Dowden also “promised” to act to protect theatres and other venues from closure and demolition.