Announcing the further easing, the PM confirmed that from the 17 May:
- Indoor hospitality can reopen and indoor entertainment can resume, including cinemas, museums, and children’s play areas.
- Up to 6 people or 2 households will be able to meet indoors and up to 30 people outdoors.
- All remaining outdoor entertainment can reopen, such as outdoor cinemas and performances. Some larger events will be able to take place, including conferences, theatre and concert performances, and sports events. The Stay in the UK restriction will be lifted and people will be able to travel to green list countries, if they permit inbound travel.
- Up to 30 people will now be able to attend weddings, receptions, and commemorative events including wakes, as well as standalone life-cycle events. These can take place outdoors or at any indoor Covid secure venue that is permitted to open.
- The number of people able to attend a funeral will be determined by the number that can be safely accommodated in the venue with social distancing in place.
- 30 people will be able to attend a support group or parent and child group. The limit will not apply to children under 5.
- Organised adult sport and exercise classes can resume indoors and saunas and steam rooms may reopen.
- The chief medical officers for England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales said the decision to downgrade was thanks to the efforts of the UK public in bringing Covid rates down.
Scotland is expected to move to Level 2 from 17 May which means restaurants, cafés, pubs and bars can open indoors until 22:30 with 2 hour pre-booked slots, and outdoors within local licensing conditions for the consumption of food and alcoholic drinks.
Wales too is planning further relaxation from 17 May when the county is expected to move to level 2. This will allow no more than 3 other people indoors at a café, restaurant or other open premises (unless with your household of a larger number) or no more than 5 other people outdoors or in private gardens (unless with your household of a larger number).