Information on Cookies

To make the best use of our website, you'll need to make sure your web browser is set to accept cookies to ensure you receive the best experience.

For further information, please read our Cookies Policy.

Log In

Go To News
Whitby bar's licence decision delayed "to allow sale" Published Date: 09/01/2024

A bar in Whitby which was facing calls to have its licence revoked is to close voluntarily until the business is sold.

The BBC reported that North Yorkshire Police had said JK's Bar, on Wellington Street, had shown a "complete disregard" for the authorities and residents.

However, at a licensing hearing on Friday, JK's owner and the police asked for a decision to be delayed until the sale went through.

Licensing councillors delayed a decision for six weeks.

According to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, the bar has faced numerous complaints from local residents and the police, and last May the council ordered the removal of its premises supervisor.

Police had said the bar showed "a complete disregard not only to the responsible authorities, but to the residents, visitors, and local businesses, because of crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour attributed to the bar".

At the meeting of the council's licensing sub-committee, lawyers representing JK's requested that proceedings be adjourned.

Kathryn Pitters, a barrister representing owner Bulent Osman and JK's Bar, said: "It is a joint application by the police and JK's Bar to adjourn this hearing by four weeks.

"The basis for this joint application is that JK's Bar is in the process of being sold to a third party, Northern Bay Hospitality."

She added that if the sale did go through in the next few weeks, the police had said they would withdraw their proceedings.

The chair of the committee, Tim Grogan said: "We are happy to adjourn this matter in terms of the new information that has come to light.

"We are also mindful that Mr Osman says he is going to close the premises throughout this period. We will hold you to that undertaking, Mr Osman."

Those present agreed to adjourn the meeting for six weeks until 16 February.

Source: BBC